Friday, October 19, 2007

On: "Long-ku"

On July 1, 2007, I cajoled my readers into writing long-ku, a faux haiku in which the syllabic pattern is 8-10-8. The results were fabulous.

When life's travails overwhelm
And leave you screaming in the dark of night,
Have a martini for God's sake!

Careless whispers breed breathless sighs,
Fevered words, secret passions ignite. Hot!
Two aspirins, all better now.
-Serena Joy

Straining over Shakespeare's verses,
My head is spinning and my eyes are crossed
To answer Serena's challenges.
-Hale McKay

His head doth spin and eyes widen,
But Mike hath met the challenge. Forsooth! He
Met Serena's demands and lived!
-Serena Joy

I.
2 PM; I'm in my PJs.
It's Sunday! Thom Yorke sings to me as I
Drink coffee, re-pot hydrangeas.

II.
Bright yellow sun lights up the haze;
Plants shrivel up and try to hide from it.
Dog crawls under the deck and whines.
-ThatGreenyFlower

Trevor sleeps in the arms of love,
Mairi strokes his troubles with tender care,
And from darkness comes sweet release.
-Trée

Look high to the heavens for stars,
And they will guide you to inspiration,
Otherwise you know where I am.
-Trée

I am disappointed in you.
My thoughts of fun and laughter are broken.
Bastardized Bard is better than this.
-Charles

Interpreted Shakespearian,
You make my soul's laughter come out so well,
You brightened my weekend and theirs.
-Charles

And yet you did it anyway,
And did so very well in spite of your
Recalcitrance, Charles. Game well done!
-Serena Joy

Neurons fire making my thoughts real.
Caffeine makes my tongue and heart so happy.
Waking I think, sleeping I dream.
-Charles

Long-ku is all right I thought once.
Prime-ku would be a challenge if thought through.
Prime syllables, letters totaling prime.
-Charles

Alas at It Occurred To Me
I wrote about spell checkers instead of
For Verbicidal Tendencies.

But there is no need to feel sad
For I have one about words for V.T.
I hope everyone will read.
-Hale McKay

Between cultural flotsam and
The jetsam of Paris, Lindsay, Britney...
I see photos of Mars, and weep.
-Littlebirdblue

I fed the pink duck on her blog.
Then, I took the quiz "How Insane Are You?"
Now, I'm supposed to write Long-ku?
-Corn Dog

You know I have to trash any ku
I do not care to write this crap at all
Haiku should die a painful death.
-Roxan

Charming, pretty, always witty.
This girl keeps them begging like a lost dog!
Serena Joy ... Myth or Legend?
-G-man

No comments: